Tuesday 19 February 2013

GBBC Results

Female red wing blackbird.
I have officially completed my first ever "Great Backyard Bird Count!"

I was a little disappointed that some of my regular birds didn't show up. Both my ruffed grouse and red-breasted nuthatch didn't come by at all during the count...but of course today I saw them both! Buggers!

I did have one new visitor, a female red wing black bird. She visited throughout the day on Monday. It's a bit early to spot a female RWBB, so I hope she has fared out out since she left.

I spent most of my time counting the birds in our yard, but on Saturday I did go for a nice long walk and counted some non-seed feeding birds as well. My total count is as follows:

Mourning Dove: 30
Downy Woodpecker: 5
Hairy Woodpecker: 8
Bluejay: 35
American Crow: 66
Black-capped Chickadee: 82
Dark-eyed Junco: 41
Red-wing blackbird: 1
Common Redpoll:  21
Hoary Redpoll: 2
American Goldfinch: 6
Bald Eagle: 16
Herring Gull: 15
Black Back Gull: 2
Common Raven: 1
European Starling: 315
American Tree Sparrow: 2

I really enjoyed participating. It was really good practice for identifying birds in the field. It was also great exercise! I normally hate going outside in the winter time, but going out to find birds was really enjoyable!



0 comments:

Post a Comment